Snowdon is the ‘headline’ mountain for any walking holiday in Snowdonia. It attracts around 500,000 visitors per year – and the vast majority arrive by car or other motorised vehicle. There are a number of car parks for Snowdon, and the local authorities and Snowdonia National Park have to carefully manage those car parks to ensure that they are available for visitors year-round.
Pen-y-Pass is the home to a small car park on the A4086 between Capel Curig and Llanberis. It is the starting point for the PYG and Miners track, as well as the start and finish point for the Snowdon Horseshoe. It is also home to a small cafe and the Pen y Pass YHA Hostel which was renovated extensively in 2014.
Important information for Pen y Pass car park:
- The car park is quite small and spaces fill up very quickly – normally by 8am on Spring, Summer and Autumn weekends. Unless you can confidently arrive before this time you would be wise to look for other parking places where you can start your walk or take one of the regular Sherpa buses to Pen y Pass.
- The parking fee is £10 for the day and £5 for up to 4hrs. The machines accept coins.
- There is no overnight camping allowed.
- Grid Reference for Pen y Pass Car Park: SH 647 556
- Post Code for Pen y Pass Car Park: LL55 4NU